Sunday, September 19, 2010

Don't Tell Me What I "Really Believe"

Don't tell me that because of the "Pagan" in "Christo-Pagan" I can't see Jesus as a face of the Divine.

Don't tell me that because of the "Christo" in "Christo-Pagan" I'm not really a Pagan.

Don't tell me that because of the "Pagan" part of "Christo-Pagan" I can't really be a Christian.

Don't tell me that because I am a Christo-Pagan, I'm really just trying to cover my ass in case the "real Christians" are right.

Don't tell me that my beliefs are wrong because they are not what you believe, or what you think I should believe.

Don't tell me that I'm only "dabbling" in Paganism and that once it gets to be too much for me, I'll go running right back to the Roman Catholics.  If that were the case, I'd have done it by the time I was fifteen.

Don't tell me that I really believe that homosexuals should be put to death, or that women should cover their heads and shut up because St. Paul said so, or that I should be considered inferior to a man because I am a woman, or that anyone who doesn't keep the Sabbath (whether it's the Jewish or Christian Sabbath) should be put to death, just because part of my spiritual identity is Christian in nature.

Don't tell me that because I'm a Pagan, I believe that I have to do all my rituals naked in the wilderness.  (Especially since I'm a Canadian and it tends to get very cold in the winter in my little corner of the country—I'd be dead of hypothermia in very short order if I tried to do my Yule ritual skyclad outdoors!)

I believe what I believe, not what you say I believe.  If you want to show me the supposed error of my ways, telling me that I really believe something that I do not in fact believe is so not the way to do it.  Don't tell me what I "really believe" based on your understanding of one or the other of the parts of my spirituality...because if you try, you are going to get it so, so wrong no matter how right you think you are.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to this! ^_^

    I just discovered your blog today and I'm really thankful it's here.

    ~Adam from Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete